The "Lazy Mette" was used in the Middle Ages giant gun, which was cast in 1411 by the Brunswick cast-piece founder Henning Bussenschutte bronze.
Due to its heavy weight and the size of the cannon, which at the time was the second largest in Europe, it served only the city defense of Braunschweig and was stored at peacetime on the courtyard of Martinikirche am Altstadtmarkt. Mainly their dimensions should also serve as a deterrent.
On August 23, 1550, the transfer to Michaeliswall, where the gun was used against Duke Henry the Younger of Brunswick - Wolfenbüttel, who besieged the city. Until 1650, the gun then remained in place until it was brought to the Wendentor.
In 1787, the final withdrawal took place and the gun was melted down after firing only 12 shots, of which only 5 were in defense of the city.
|Gun type||main box|
|Gun class||Giant cannon|
|Tube length||1,24 meters|
|Mass||8,75 metric tons|
|Ball weight||409 Kg|
This post is also available in: Deutsch (German) Français (French) Italiano (Italian) 简体中文 (Chinese (Simplified)) Русский (Russian) Español (Spanish) العربية (Arabic)